It was never a problem for me when I was younger, but lately some nights it seems like I spend more time trying to sleep than actually sleeping.
Insomnia is actually a common problem for creative women. We have so much going on in our heads it’s hard to turn it all off long enough to go to sleep!
If you have trouble sleeping, too, try saying this affirmation to yourself starting about an hour or so before bedtime: “I fall easily into deep, refreshing sleep.” It seems simplistic, but it really can help.
Besides affirmations, here are some natural sleep aids I’ve found helpful:
- Melatonin – a safe, natural supplement that promotes restful sleep.
- Extra magnesium, taken before bedtime.
- Avoiding stimulants after noon. (This includes Vitamin B.)
- Essential oils. I’ve been using Young Living’s Peace and Calming. Lavender is good for promoting sleep, too.
- Staying off the computer before bedtime.
- A nice warm bath.
- Massage. Take turns with your partner. It’s relaxing for both of you!
- Breathing exercises. One I like is a 4/4 rhythm: breathe in for four counts, hold for four, out for four, hold out for four. Helps if you’re being kept up by a racing mind!
- Energy work. Reiki and other energetic clearings can do wonders!
Here’s to sleeping well tonight! (And here’s to having awesome dreams!)
Oh, and if you have anything else you’d like to add to the list, I’m all ears! Share below. 🙂